The NDIS funds supports that families need as a result of a family member’s disability including:
- family support and counselling due to a family member’s disability
- building the skills and capacity of other family members
- supports that increase the participant’s independence
- supports aimed at increasing the sustainability of family caring arrangement, including personal care and domestic assistance related to the person’s disability
Where else can families and carers get help?
There are several Commonwealth schemes designed to support carers:
- Department of Social Services (DSS): disability and carers information
- Carer gateway: national on line and phone service to provide practice information and resources to support carers.
- Carers Australia: national organisation that supports Australian carers