Simplifying the home care journey for Deaf seniors
More than 100 Deaf and hard of hearing seniors attended the Deaf Services Ageing Well Expo 2018 in Brisbane and another 45 took part via livestream from other parts of Queensland.
Each year experts and service providers within the aged care sector come together to share valuable information related to services provided for Deaf seniors at Ageing Well Expo. While the focus of the expo changes every year, it always provides critical information related to healthy ageing for Deaf seniors in a format that is Deaf-friendly and accessible.
The Ageing Well Expo 2018 was aimed at explaining the process of acquiring a home care package and discussed each step involved. Under the main theme ‘My Homecare Journey', representatives of organisations involved in the aged care service process provided their expertise and the necessary insights to better understand the steps involved to access services.
Topics discussed by our key speakers and clients included:
- The My Aged Care portal, presented by the Department of Health.
- A discussion of the complaints process and outcomes presented by the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner
- Explanations of the processes and considerations for both the Aged Care Assessment Service and Regional Assessment Service; and
- Presentations from Deaf Services on how to pick a provider and receive services during the 'waitlist period'.
- My 'home care journey' an interview with one of Deaf Services' support clients about her experiences in the home care journey.
The annual event provides a great opportunity for Deaf seniors, staff and aged care professionals to meet and discuss service access. Deaf seniors, family members and aged care professionals from remote areas were invited to participate in the event through live streaming to satellite events in Cairns, Maryborough and Rockhampton.
To ensure all clients based in Southeast Queensland were able to attend the event in Brisbane, Deaf Services arranged a free bus transfer from and to the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast.
We would like to thank everyone for attending and contributing to the success of the event and look forward to the next Ageing Well Expo in 2019.
CLICK HERE to find out more about our Ageing Well services.
Would you like to make a positive impact on our clients' lives? The Ageing Well Team is always looking for volunteers. Please fill out the Helping Hands Volunteer get in touch and express your interest via email@example.com.