Under a new federal government scheme there is now free sign language interpreting available for Australian’s who are Deaf, deafblind, or hard of hearing and over 65.
This interpreting is to support participation in both social and essential activities and is available 7 days a week.
Auslan interpreting is based on an average of 40 hours per year per person and includes both face to face and video remote interpreting (VRI).
What can it be used for?
- Weddings, funerals and family reunions
- Theatre and events
- Seniors activities, clubs or groups
- Banking, superannuation and budgeting
- Private hospital appointments
- Downsizing, selling or moving home
- Online activities and meetings
- Talking to your internet and phone provider
For Service Providers
This new service will support Australian seniors to better engage with:
- Aged Care System Navigators
- My Aged Care
- Regional Assessment Services
- Aged Care Assessment Teams
- Home Care Package Providers
- Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) Providers
- Residential Aged Care service providers
- Other organisations delivering Australian Government funded aged care services
To access this service
For more information and to access the program, please visit the Auslan Connections website.
This service can be booked on behalf of the Deaf person – just let the team know the details of the booking.