In October 2020 Deaf Services Limited and the Deaf Society merged to form Australia’s largest whole-of-life service provider for the Deaf, deafblind and hard of hearing communities.
With shared history, vision and strengths, as well as over 200 years of proven community support, Deaf Services and the Deaf Society stands with the Deaf community - delivering services across the east coast as well as Auslan interpreting and advocacy nationally.
This is an exciting time for the organisation as we drastically increase our scope and enter a period of dynamic growth.
About the Support Coordination Team
The Support Coordination team provides support for Deaf and hard of hearing customers to live independently, understand and make the best use of manage their daily NDIS plan, and ensures that customers are connected with services so they are empowered to achieve their goals, skills, and aspirations. Our team culture is positive and respectful with a focus on supporting each other to deliver high quality services to participants in a compassionate and caring way.
About the Role
Support Coordinator – 12 month contract
Closest Deaf Services office (including work/travel to other locations as required)
This role will support deaf, deafblind and hard of hearing NDIS participants to engage with the NDIS, including unpacking their NDIS plans, connecting them to services and building their skills. You will support customers to achieve their short and long term goals in a person-centred way.
Fluency in Auslan and ability to communicate with staff and participants in Auslan will be highly regarded.
To succeed in this role you will need:
- Passionate about provision of high quality person centred supports for our Deaf and hard of hearing individuals
- Knowledge of the National Disability Insurance Scheme
- Strong sense of initiative and time management skills
- Lived experience of disability (your own or someone else’s)
- Knowledge of the Deaf community
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team
- Knowledge of the Disability Inclusion Act 2014 (NSW) and NDIS Code of Conduct
- Completed NDIS Worker Orientation
- Fluency in Auslan
- NDIS Worker Screening, or commitment to obtain this prior to starting in the role
- Relevant qualification such as a minimum of Cert IV in Disability Services
- Experience in disability service and business management
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to engage with participants, their families and service providers
- Good computer skills
- Experience working with deaf and hard of hearing people
As a not-for-profit, Deaf Services offers a range of benefits including salary packaging, reduced taxable income and membership to Team Advantage, our staff benefits program.
Applicants are required to complete a cover letter addressing the selection criteria, an application form and a current resume via SEEK, or if applying via our websites, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information please email email@example.com or phone: 02 8833 3600.
Deaf Services is an equal opportunity employer.