Course code: PSP50916 Diploma of Interpreting
The PSP50916 Diploma of Interpreting reflects the skills and knowledge required to interpret in general dialogue settings.
Semester 1, 2020 Enrolments Closed
Prepares interpreters for work typically in the general community services field, including general health, welfare, education, and customer and community information services.
- Full Fee $5,500
- Subsidised Price $2,200 (Non-concessional)*
- Subsidised Price $1,100 (Concession)*
*The Auslan Interpreter Funding Strategy subsidy is funded by the Queensland Government and available to eligible participants. There are no restrictions regarding prior qualifications.
- 40 Weeks
- Day and Night Course available
- Additional Full Weekend Workshops
- Training will be provided in an immersive Auslan environment
- Commencing 29th January 2020
- Mon & Wed: 6pm to 9pm
- Commencing 28th January 2020
- Tuesday: 9am to 3pm
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
Students in the PSP50916 Diploma of Interpreting course will learn about the interpreting process and how to apply interpreting English and Auslan language skills to achieve competent message transfer.
Students will be given frequent opportunities to use their language/interpreting skills within interactive practice sessions and with a range of guest presenters and teachers. These sessions will be videoed for reflective practise purposes so that students can obtain feedback from their teachers and peers and also engage in self-evaluation.
Students will learn how to prepare for interpreting assignments by doing discourse analysis and considering all the variables relating to interpreting assignments. They will learn the professional skills required to work in the field, understand and apply the Code of Ethics to the work they do.
All students will have the opportunity to engage in a structured observation/mentoring program. This is designed to bridge the gap between formal study and practical community interpreting.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to prepare for sitting the NAATI Accreditation test, a prerequisite accreditation for most employers in the industry.
Candidates will have completed, or have Auslan skills equivalent to the Diploma of Auslan. If you have not completed formal study to this level, but can demonstrate skills equivalence, you can still apply.
All candidates will be required to sit a skills test in Auslan and in English in order to demonstrate language proficiency in both languages.
Skills Testing Information
Day Classes 7th December 2019
Night Classes 14th December 2019
There’s 3 parts to the testing: an interview, a written essay and a retelling of a visual narrative.
Please allow 1.5 hours for the entrance test
EOI's for the skills test please email firstname.lastname@example.org
COURSE UNITS (CORE):
- PSPTIS001 Apply codes and standards to ethical practice
- PSPTIS002 Build glossaries for translating and interpreting assignments
- PSPTIS003 Prepare to translate and interpret
- PSPTIS040 Interpret in general dialogue settings (Auslan-English)
- PSPTIS041 Interpret in general monologue settings (Auslan-English)
- PSPTIS042 Manage discourses in general settings
- PSPTIS043 Use routing subject area terminology in interpreting (Auslan-English)
COURSE UNITS (ELECTIVE):
- SITXLAN003 Conduct oral communication in a language other than English (Auslan)
- PSPLAN014 Convey information between Auslan and English
- PSPTIS045 Demonstrate routine English proficiency in different in different subjexts and cultural contexts
- PSPTIS046 Use routine education terminology in interpreting (Auslan - English)
- BSBDIV301 Work effectiveley with diversity
DURATION AND DELIVERY
The course will be held 2 nights (Night course) or 1 day (Day course) per week over two semesters, with a maximum of 4 full weekend workshops. Minimum Course numbers are required for courses to go ahead.
VENUE FOR DELIVERY
The courses will be held at Deaf Services (915 Ipswich Road, Moorooka)
A deposit of 20% of full fee is due upon acceptance into the course with the balance as per individual payment plans.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT US ON STUDY@accesstraining.edu.au OR CALL US ON
07 3892 8539.
Access Training and Education RTO#41192