Course code: PSP20218 Certificate II in Auslan
The PSP20218 Certificate II in Auslan prepares students for simple communication with deaf and hard of hearing individuals or groups in the Deaf community.
Semester 2, 2019 Online Enrolments are NOW OPEN
Please see proposed details for delivery for 2019. These details may be subject to change.
- Full Fee $2,500
- Subsidised Price $250 (Non-concessional)*
- Subsidised Price $100 (Concession)*
*The Auslan Interpreter Funding Strategy subsidy is funded by the Queensland Government and available to eligible participants. To be eligible, you must have aspirations to complete the PSP20218 Certificate II in Auslan, PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan, PSP40818 Certificate IV in Auslan, PSP51018 Diploma of Auslan and PSP50916 Diploma of Interpreting, and sign a declaration form to this effect (the declaration form can be found on the last page of online enrolment form). There are no restrictions regarding prior qualifications. Eligibility Criteria
Students may be parents, family members or friends of a deaf person seeking to improve their communication skills, or social, community, education or health sector employees wishing to improve their communication with deaf consumers or colleagues, in addition to gaining further knowledge of Deaf history and culture.
- Brisbane, Gold Coast , Townsville
- Starts: 15 July 2019
- 20 Weeks (Excluding School and Public Holidays)
- Day, Night and Regional Courses Available
- Training will be provided in an immersive Auslan environment
Brisbane South -
- Monday: 9am to 2:30pm - Commencing 15th July 2019 (Day)
- Wednesday: 9am to 2:30pm - Commencing 17th July 2019 (Day)
- Monday & Wednesday: 6pm to 8:30pm - Commencing 15th July 2019 (Night) (FULL)
- Friday: 9am to 2.30pm - Commencing 19th July 2019 (Day)
- Tuesday & Thursday: 6pm to 8:30pm - Commencing 16th July 2019 (Night) (FULL)
- Tuesday: 9am to 2.30pm - Commencing 16th July 2019 (Day)
- Wednesday: 6pm to 7.45pm - Commencing 17th July 2019 (Night) + 4 additional full weekends (FULL)
- Wednesday: 4pm to 5.45 pm - Commencing 17th July 2019 (Night) + 4 additional full weekends
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
This qualification provides signing skills to communicate in Auslan on familiar and routine matters. Communication may take place in any situation including personal, public, social, employment and educational domains.
It teaches participants how to give routine information in Auslan in a number of contexts, identify principle characteristics of Auslan signs, and describe generally the cultural and historical trends and issues of the Deaf community.
There is no pre-requisite for entering this course and therefore, no knowledge of Auslan or the Deaf community is required.
ON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION STUDENTS SHOULD:
- Understand sentences and frequently-used expressions related to areas most immeditate relevance e.g. basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment.
- Communicate about simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and dorect exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Describe in simple terms his or her immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
- PSPLAN001 Converse in Auslan at a basic user level
- PSPLAN002 Compare the fundamental differences between Auslan and English structure
- PSPLAN003 Source information on Deaf culture, and communicate according to Deaf protocol
DURATION AND DELIVERY
Students can enrol in the day or night course in Brisbane and Nerang, and the night course in Helensvale and Townsville.
The 20 week course will be delivered one day a week for students enrolling in Brisbane and Nerang day course or two evenings to students enrolled in the Brisbane, Nerang and Helensvale night course, totalling 5 hours a week.
Students enrolling in Townsville course will be required to attend an additonal 4 full weekend workshops. Dates to be advised.
- Friday: 6pm to 9pm
- Saturday: 9am to 5pm
- Sunday: 9am to 3pm
Delivery is blended and consists of face to face classes and self-paced online learning through a student portal. Minimum course numbers are required for courses to go ahead.
**There will be a requirement from students to complete extra hours outside of the standard class delivery to make up enough hours for the course. This can be done by attending community events and weekend workshops etc.
VENUE FOR DELIVERY
- Brisbane South Day course (Wednesday): Community Centre, Deaf Services, 915 Ipswich Road, Moorooka
- Brisbane South Day course (Monday): Moorooka Hall, 40 Gainsborough St, Moorooka
- Brisbane South Night course: Our Lady's College, 15 Chester Rd, Annerley
- Brisbane North Day & Night course: Deaf Lottery, 467 Enoggera Rd, Alderley
- Nerang Day course: Nerang Bicentennial Community Centre, 833 Southport - Nerang Rd, Nerang
- Townsville Night course: Deaf Services, Suite 3 (level 1), 313 Ross River Road, Aitkenvale
For full fee paying students, a deposit of 20% is due upon acceptance into the course with the balance as per individual payment plans.
For students accessing the subsidy, full payment of the student co-contribution fee is required upon acceptance into the course.
Access Training and Education RTO#41192