Course code: PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan
The PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan teaches participants how to give routine information in Auslan in a number of contexts, identify the principle characteristics of Auslan signs, and describe generally the cultural and historical trends and issues of the Deaf community.
Semester 2, 2020 Enrolments Closed
Please see proposed details for delivery for 2020.
These details may be subject to change.
- Full Fee $3,250
- Subsidised Price $650 (Non-concessional)*
- Subsidised Price $325 (Concession)*
*The Auslan Interpreter Funding Strategy subsidy is funded by the Queensland Government and available to eligible participants. To be eligible, you must have aspirations to complete the PSP20218 Certificate II in Auslan, PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan, PSP40818 Certificate IV in Auslan, PSP51018 Diploma of Auslan and PSP50916 Diploma of Interpreting, and sign a declaration form to this effect (the declaration form can be found on the last page of online enrolment form). There are no restrictions regarding prior qualifications. Eligibility Criteria
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
This qualification provides signing skills to communicate in Auslan with some confidence on familiar, routine and some non-routine matters. Communication may take place in any situation including personal, public, social, employment and educational domains.
- Brisbane, Alderley, Ipswich, Nerang & Online Only Course
- Starts 13th July 2020
- 20 Weeks (Excluding School Holidays and Public Holidays)
- Day, Night & Online Courses
- Monday: 9:00am to 1:00pm - Commencing 13th July 2020 (Day)
- Monday & Wednesday: 6:00pm to 8:00pm - Commencing 13th July 2020 (Night)
- Tuesday: 9:00am to 1:00pm - Commencing 14th July 2020 (Day)
- Tuesday & Thursday: 6:00pm to 8:00pm - Commencing 14th July 2020 (Night) - Cancelled
- Tuesday & Thursday: 6:00pm to 8:00pm - Commencing 14th July 2020 (Night)
- Tuesday: 9:00am to 1:00pm- Commencing 14th July 2020 (Day)
Online Only Course
- Tuesday: 6:00pm - 8:00pm - Commencing 14th July 2020 (Night)
- Some weekend assessment may be involved
For students accessing funding you must have successfully completed either 22075VIC Certificate II in Auslan or PSP20218 Certificate II in Auslan to be eligible to enrol into PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan.
For RPL students who have not previously completed Certificate II in Auslan, you must RPL PSP20218 Certificate II in Auslan before being eligible to enrol in to PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan, please contact us before enrolling to discuss.
You will be required to meet the entry requirements;
- Meeting the minimum Language, Literacy & Numeracy for Certificate II
- Meet the minimum IT Technology skills and requirements of equipment and software access (listed bottom of the page)
ON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION STUDENTS SHOULD:
- Understand the main points when standard sign language is used and the topics are familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Deal with most situations likely to arise where sign language is used
- Produce simple connected text on topics, which are familiar, or of personal interest.
- Describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations
- PSPLAN001 Converse in Auslan at a basic user level
- PSPLAN002 Compare the fundamental differences between Auslan and English structure
- PSPLAN003 Source information on Deaf culture, and communicate according to Deaf protocol
- PSPLAN004 Converse in Auslan at an independent user level (familiar subjects)
- PSPLAN005 Analyse the structure of Auslan signs
- PSPLAN006 Research the development of educational and social conditions for Australian Deaf communities
Units of competency will be assessed undertaking a combination of video, written & online quizzes. Students must be deemed competent in line with the training package requirements to receive a successful outcome for the Certificate III course.
** Students who hold the old VU units of competency will be required to complete some additional Gap Training to achieve PSP30218 at the end of course completion. This will be completed online throughout the 20 week delivery.
DURATION AND DELIVERY
The 20 week course will be delivered one day a week to those enrolled in the day courses or two evenings to students enrolled in the night courses, 5 hours a week of class delivery with 15 hours required outside of class for research and assessment.
The Online Only course will be delivered one evening per week via Zoom in a virtual classroom. 15-20 hrs a week of learning required.
Delivery is blended and consists of face to face classes and self-paced online learning through a student portal. Please be advised that access to a laptop/computer is required for accessing the Student Portal. Minimum course numbers are required for courses to go ahead.
**There will be a requirement from student’s to complete extra hours outside of the standard class delivery to make up enough hours for the course. This can be done by attending community events and weekend workshops etc.
VENUE FOR DELIVERY
- Brisbane South Day Course: Moorooka Community Hall, 40 Gainsborough St, Moorooka
- Brisbane South Night Course: Our Lady’s College, 15 Chester Street, Annerley
- Brisbane North Day & Night Course: Deaf Lottery, 467 Enoggera Road, Alderley
- Ipswich Course: Catalyst Church, Willow Room, 142 Pine Mountain Rd, Brassall
- Nerang Course: Nerang Bicentennial Centre, 833 Southport-Nerang Rd, Nerang
Minimum Technology Requirement
- Webcam/inbuilt camera
- Reliable internet connection
- Recording device for video assessments
- PDF Reader available to download for free https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/
- Zoom - virtual video conferencing platform. Instructions will be provided prior to course commencement.
- Moodle - student learning management system. Instructions we be provided prior to course commencement.
For full paying students, a deposit of 20% is due upon acceptance into the course with the balance as per individual payment plan.
For students accessing the subsidy, full payment of the student co-contribution fee is required upon acceptance into the course.
Access Training and Education RTO #41192