Course code: PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan
The PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan teaches participants how to give routine information in Auslan in a number of contexts, identify the principle characteristics of Auslan signs, and describe generally the cultural and historical trends and issues of the Deaf community.
Semester 1, 2020 Enrolments Open
Please see proposed details for delivery for 2020. These details may be subject to change.
- Full Fee $3,250
- Subsidised Price $650 (Non-concessional)*
- Subsidised Price $325 (Concession)*
*The Auslan Interpreter Funding Strategy subsidy is funded by the Queensland Government and available to eligible participants. To be eligible, you must have aspirations to complete the PSP20218 Certificate II in Auslan, PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan, PSP40818 Certificate IV in Auslan, PSP51018 Diploma of Auslan and PSP50916 Diploma of Interpreting, and sign a declaration form to this effect (the declaration form can be found on the last page of online enrolment form). There are no restrictions regarding prior qualifications. Eligibility Criteria
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
This qualification provides signing skills to communicate in Auslan with some confidence on familiar, routine and some non-routine matters. Communication may take place in any situation including personal, public, social, employment and educational domains.
- Brisbane, Alderley, Townsville
- Starts 28th January 2020
- 20 Weeks (Excluding School Holidays and Public Holidays)
- Day, Night & Regional Courses
- Training will be provided in an immersive Auslan environment
- Monday: 9am to 2:30pm - Commencing 3rd February 2020 (Day) - FULL
- Tues & Thurs: 6pm to 8:30pm - Commencing 28th January 2020 (Night)
- Monday: 9am to 2:30pm - Commencing 3rd February 2020 (Day)
- Mon & Wed: 6pm to 8:30pm - Commencing 29th January 2020 (Night)
- Wednesday: 6pm to 8:30pm - Commencing 29th January (Night) + 3 additional Full Weekend Workshops
Weekend Workshop dates:
- 6th, 7th & 8th March
- 15th, 16th & 17th May
- 12th, 13th & 14th June
For students accessing funding you must have successfully completed either 22075VIC Certificate II in Auslan or PSP20218 Certificate II in Auslan to be eligible to enrol into PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan.
For RPL students who have not previously completed Certificate II in Auslan, you must RPL PSP20218 Certificate II in Auslan before being eligible to enrol in to PSP30218 Certificate III in Auslan, please contact us before enrolling to discuss.
ON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION STUDENTS SHOULD:
- Understand the main points when standard sign language is used and the topics are familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Deal with most situations likely to arise where sign language is used
- Produce simple connected text on topics, which are familiar, or of personal interest.
- Describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations
- PSPLAN001 Converse in Auslan at a basic user level
- PSPLAN002 Compare the fundamental differences between Auslan and English structure
- PSPLAN003 Source information on Deaf culture, and communicate according to Deaf protocol
- PSPLAN004 Converse in Auslan at an independent user level (familiar subjects)
- PSPLAN005 Analyse the structure of Auslan signs
- PSPLAN006 Research the development of educational and social conditions for Australian Deaf communities
** Students who hold the old VU units of competency will be required to complete some additional Gap Training to achieve PSP30218 at the end of course completion. This will be completed online throughout the 20 week delivery.
DURATION AND DELIVERY
The 20 week course will be delivered one day a week to those enrolled in the Brisbane day course or two evenings to students enrolled in the Brisbane night course, totalling 5 hours a week. The Townsville course will be delivered one evening per week with an additional 3 weekend workshops.
Students enrolling in Townsville course will be required to attend an additional 3 full weekend workshops.
- Friday: 6pm to 9pm
- Saturday: 9am to 5pm
- Sunday: 9am to 3pm
Delivery is blended and consists of face to face classes and self-paced online learning through a student portal. Please be advised that access to a laptop/computer is required for accessing the Student Portal. Minimum course numbers are required for courses to go ahead.
**There will be a requirement from student’s to complete extra hours outside of the standard class delivery to make up enough hours for the course. This can be done by attending community events and weekend workshops etc.
VENUE FOR DELIVERY
- Brisbane South Day Course: Deaf Services, 915 Ipswich Road, Moorooka
- Brisbane South Night Course: Our Lady’s College, 15 Chester Street, Annerley
- Brisbane North Day & Night Course: Deaf Lottery, 467 Enoggera Road, Alderley
- Townsville Course: Deaf Services, Suite 3 (Level 1), 313 Ross River Road, Aitkenvale
For full paying students, a deposit of 20% is due upon acceptance into the course with the balance as per individual payment plan.
For students accessing the subsidy, full payment of the student co-contribution fee is required upon acceptance into the course.
Access Training and Education RTO #41192